Friday, June 17, 2011

Tilapia

Growing up, I was never one to order fish but more recently (maybe since I discovered the health benefits) I have begun to enjoy fish every now and then. Last night was one of those times. I made pan fried blackened Tilapia with a lime mayonnaise dressing and it was delicious.

Fish is a low fat  high protein food that provides us Omega-3 and Omega- 6 fatty acids, both of which our body cannot produce on its own, as well as a multitude of vitamins and minerals. Tilapia is a mild fish, lacking the fishy flavor that turns many off from enjoying fish.

We were in a hurry to eat yesterday and this dinner took 15 minutes to make, perfect for weeknight cooking. I started off rubbing blackening seasoning on Tilapia filets and then pan frying them in a couple tablespoons of olive oil, about 3-4 minutes per side on medium high heat.


Meanwhile, I mixed up a simple light sauce for the fish. Mayonnaise (at our house we use Veganaise, a vegan's substitute for mayonnaise that actually tastes quite good) lime juice, and fresh cilantro.


I also steamed some fresh green beans to serve with the fish. A small dollop of the mayonnaise sauce evened out the spicy Cajun flavor of the blackened seasoning and provided a well balanced healthy meal, fast!


Try making fish at your house some night this upcoming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment