Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Protein it is!

As mentioned in my 'Update' post, I have been giving a lot of attention to my nutrition, both post workout and throughout the day. I have made a conscious effort to incorporate protein into every meal. When I say every meal I mean all 5 or 6 meals I eat a day. This method of eating works to increase energy, by keeping blood sugar levels steady. I normally eat breakfast right when I first get up and then eat about every three hours until a couple hours before bed.

Sample daily meals
Meal 1: Oatmeal, skim milk, and almonds
Meal 2: Greek yogurt and fresh berries
Meal 3: Egg white vegetable omelet
Workout
Meal 4: Fruit smoothie with Whey protein powder
Meal 5: Grilled chicken, cooked greens, and quinoa
Meal 6: Low Fat cottage cheese (close before bed)

The challenge is keeping the 5-6 mini meals, mini. It is critical that at the end of the day, the calorie content of the mini meals does not exceed what you eat in three larger meals. Make sure you get protein in each of your meals to help you feel full, build muscle, and burn fat. Check out this website for a great list of protein sources and get prepared for some delicious high protein recipes coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment