Monday, October 17, 2011

Fall Canning

One of my favorite things about fall is the delicious fruits and vegetables that accompany the crisp air. When I was at my parents a few weekends ago, my mom was busy canning peaches and tomatoes. I managed to take some back home with me. Canned fruits and vegetables are nice to have when the dead of winter doesn't want to give way to spring and are very versitle when cooking.


Peaches and cottage cheese are one of my favorite snacks, and it will be nice to enjoy this high protein snack year round. This snack is one of my favorite pre workout snacks, as it provides protein, sugar and carbs to give me a boost in my workout.

The tomatoes this year were pokey, but when they finally ripened, were delicious. I can't wait to enjoy these year around. Last week, I made Chili with a jar of my mom's tomatoes. Chili is such an easy soup to make that boasts lots of protein.

You can put whatever you would like in your chili, here is generally what I add...

Canned diced tomatoes
Kidney beans
Black beans
Corn
Tomato paste
Ground turkey
Onions
Chili powder
Basil

Brown the turkey, and combine all ingredients in large pot. Cook over low heat for several hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment