Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Omelets for Lunch

Lately I have been a big fan of making omelets for lunch. I use seasonal vegetables, extra egg whites, and a small portion of cheese. This lunch provides everything I am looking for a high protein, vegetable rich meal earlier in the day.


Omelets are great for using up items in your refrigerator. As long as you have eggs, you can really add anything you want. I start off sautéing garlic and onion with a teaspoon of olive oil in a small pan. I then add cubed vegetables (my favorites are zuccini, peppers, yellow squash, and sweet potatoe) and cook until tender.


Meanwhile I beat together 1 egg, 2 additional egg whites, pepper and milk and pour into a larger pan on low heat. After the egg has cooked through, I add the vegetables and a bit of cheese, then fold over the other half of the egg and I have a delicious high protein meal.


You can add tomatoes, avocado, spinach, or anything else directly into your omelet. It is a perfect way to be creative and use up whatever you have.

I mentioned previously we were growing tomatoes on our front porch. We grew these gems despite the fight the plant had with the storms this summer. Needless to say the actual tomatoes look much better than the plant itself and were the perfect addition to my omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment